Pope Leo Fires Back at Donald Trump With Scathing Reply After ‘Board of Peace’ Invitation

The Vatican has officially confirmed that Pope Leo XIV will not take part in US President Donald Trump’s proposed “Board of Peace,” with the Holy See’s top diplomat making clear that international crisis management should remain under the authority of the United Nations.

The initiative, which Trump will chair indefinitely, was initially conceived to supervise the reconstruction of Gaza.

Since then, however, its scope has widened, transforming the concept into a broader global peacekeeping body. Pope Leo was invited to join the board last month, but the Vatican has now opted out.

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Holy See Secretary of State, revealed that the Vatican would not accept the invitation, per CNN.

He explained that officials were left “perplexed” by elements of the proposal and said that “critical issues” would need to be addressed before any involvement could be considered.

Vatican insists UN should manage global crises

Parolin emphasized that one of the Vatican’s central concerns involves the role of established international institutions.

He stated that one of the Vatican’s concerns “is that at the international level it should above all be the UN that manages these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted.”

The cardinal delivered his remarks after attending an event alongside the Italian government marking the anniversary of the Lateran Pacts, the historic agreement that established Vatican City as a sovereign state nearly a century ago.

Although Italy and the European Union have indicated they intend to participate in the board as observers, Parolin clarified that the Holy See would not “participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States.”

The Vatican won't be joining Trump's Board of Peace? Credit: Christopher Furlong / Getty

The Vatican won’t be joining Trump’s Board of Peace? Credit: Christopher Furlong / Getty

Growing international hesitation over expanded mandate

The Vatican is not alone in declining participation. Britain, France and Norway have also chosen not to sign on.

Across diplomatic circles, officials and world leaders have raised concerns about the board’s expanded mandate, Trump’s indefinite leadership, and the potential impact the initiative could have on the work of the United Nations.

The board is scheduled to convene for its first meeting in Washington on Thursday.

Some countries have pushed back on Trump's plans. Credit: Leon Neal / Getty

Some countries have pushed back on Trump’s plans. Credit: Leon Neal / Getty

Pope Leo XIV’s peace agenda and global outlook

Pope Leo XIV, the first US-born pontiff, has made peacemaking a defining theme of his papacy. In a major diplomatic address last month, he warned that “war is back in vogue,” underscoring his alarm over rising global conflicts.

In that same address, Leo stressed that the UN “should play a key role” in resolving international disputes and reaffirmed the importance of humanitarian law.

Since his election, the pope has repeatedly appealed for peace in Gaza. He has called for a two-state solution and supported the right of Palestinians to live peacefully “in their own land.”

During the Israel-Hamas war, he urged the release of the October 7 hostages, maintained dialogue with Israel’s leaders, and expressed sorrow over increasing antisemitism.

Leo has also openly criticized Trump’s immigration policies.

His consistent emphasis on international humanitarian law stands in contrast to the US president, who told The New York Times in January that he feels constrained only by his “own morality” while dismissing international law and the post-World War II order.

With the Board of Peace preparing to launch in Washington, the Vatican’s decision highlights a clear divergence over how global crises should be managed and which institutions should lead the effort.